In the spirit of National Poison Prevention Week, doctors at the BluePearl Veterinary Partners in Florida are reminding people of what household products can be unsafe for our canine friends and family.
In Florida (and many other states), there are a variety of things that pet owners need to be mindful of for the safety of their pets. According to OutbreakNewsToday.com, "Doctors from BluePearl in the Tampa Bay area commonly see pets suffering from exposure to bufo toads, sago palms, xylitol, rodenticides and marijuana." Apparently, during the bufo toad season, vets see a lot of cases of dogs getting poisoned by the frogs after the dogs lick them - the dogs often suffer from seizures, irregular heart beats, and foaming at the mouth as a result. In the event that a dog comes in contact with one of these toads, dog owners are advised to immediately take their pups to pet hospitals for treatment as the conditions can be life threatening.
Who knew??! Not me, but I'm glad I know now!
In addition to bufo toads, here is a list of household items that dog owners should be aware of, as they can be harmful and poisonous to our four legged friends:
National Poison Prevention Week started this past Sunday and runs through this Saturday. The poison help line is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-222-1222.
For more dog news and info, be sure to follow us @SportLeash on: